Heidi's HintsSubmitted by Strauss Financial Group, Inc on October 1st, 2018
Life can be turned upside down by natural disasters, and with Hurricane Florence still in our minds, emergency preparedness is a timely topic! Planning and good communication are key to staying safe and knowing what to do when disaster strikes. Since emergencies happen when you are least expecting it – be ready! Here are a few tips every family can use:
- Plan for specific risks, such as power outages, storms, floods, etc.
- Make sure to have a family plan in place and practice the plan. Have all important contact numbers memorized or accessible and know how to reach each other if separated!
- Take a basic first aid and CPR class.
- Keep family records in a water and fire-proof container. If you do not have one – use your dishwasher as a last resort.
- Have an emergency kit in your car and assemble supplies that you might need in an evacuation or a power outage. A few items to include are: water, non-perishable food, canned goods, non-electric can opener, rain gear, flashlight, battery-powered radio, cash, credit cards, and medication (not exclusive).
- Know your evacuation route and when told to evacuate, do so!!
- Keep your gas tank filled and don’t forget your pets.
- Sign up for emergency alerts via cell phone and talk to your children’s schools and your employer to see what actions will be taken in the event of an emergency.
- Stay calm and don’t panic!